Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What's For Lunch? Or dinner or breakfast....

Eggs.

Those simple, delicious, diverse little protein nuggets full of nutrients. You can eat them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and there are hundreds of yummy combinations to satisfy any taste bud.

I just came back from a trip to Seattle, WA and ate out for every meal (which I never do). Feeling ugh, blah, guilty, and down right fat, I was excited to get back to a healthy diet. My body was craving it.

Before my trip I was eating all fish, brown rice, veggies, salads--sick of that. Plus it's a shock to your system to go from eating carby, fatty, just down right amazingly dirty food that you could practically make love to--then quitting cold turkey. No, I needed something delicious and satisfying, but sensible.

It was so obvious--just make a scramble. Load it with veggies, use mostly egg whites--BOOM.



Here's my recipe...

1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
1/4 cup minced shallots
3 eggs (only use 1 or 2 of the egg yolks)
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes

Heat up skillet on medium. Use cooking spray and 1tsp of butter (this is mainly for flavoring). Add chopped zucchini, mushrooms, and shallots. Cook until tender and golden brown. In the mean-time whisk together the eggs with the seasoning and some water or milk (this will make your scramble more fluffy). Add eggs into veggies and scramble.

A five year old could make this. AND since I'm already taking the time to chop these veggies, I just cut up extra, throw it in an airtight container and voila--I have an easy saute I can use to accompany another meal.

The FACTS:

Serving Size: 1 scramble
Amount per Serving
Calories 218
Calories from Fat 74.9
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8.32g  12%
Saturated Fat 3.83g  19%
Cholesterol 224.99mg  74%
Sodium 238.88mg  9%
Total Carbohydrate 21.03g  7%
Dietary Fiber 6.16g  24%
Sugars 8.83g 
Protein 20.63g  41%

No comments:

Post a Comment